What is IMLA Lite?
In 2008, IMLA introduced IMLA Lite, a new program intended to allow smaller communities that are members of their state leagues or associations to become quasi-members of IMLA at a reduced rate.
Who is eligible for IMLA Lite?
Municipalities with populations below 2500 are eligible for IMLA Lite.
What are my IMLA Lite Benefits?
The benefits of this quasi-membership include the IMLA e-newsletters, the Municipal Lawyer magazine and the ability to register for an IMLA program as a member. This is a significant cost savings for attorneys in small communities who need CLE credits. IMLA Lite members will not get the right to vote or serve on the board.
- The chief legal officers, all deputies, and all assistants can join under the municipal membership and receive all member benefits free of charge*
- Networking opportunities with local government lawyers from across the United States and Canada
- Assistance through Legal Research Service
- Assistance through IMLA’s Legal Advocacy Program
- Subscription to Municipal Lawyer magazine
- Subscription to electronic newsletters
- Access to the Model Construction Documents*
- Timely and relevant CLE programs
- Reduced registration rate for attendance at all IMLA conferences, seminars and audio-conferences
- BMI- Music Licensing Discount*
- Membership for chief legal officers and all deputies and assistants in up to three IMLA sections at no additional cost
- All IMLA mailings
- Access to the password protected sections of the IMLA website
* These benefits are ONLY available to community members of IMLA.
How do I sign up and how much does it cost?
The purpose of IMLA Lite is to provide the essential services of IMLA at a budget price. Each state league and/or association who are members of IMLA have the opportunity to sign up for IMLA Lite. If a state league and/or association chooses to sign up for IMLA Lite, the league/association will pay just $50 per community (with populations less than 2500) up to a maximum cost of $3000 per year. For example, if you have 10 communities to sign up for IMLA Lite, then your cost is $500. If you have 60 communities, then your cost is $3000. If you have 80 communities, your cost is capped at $3000.
In all cases, the municipality must be a member of the league or association that is currently an IMLA member.
If your state league/association does not want to participate in the program, any community that is a member of the respective league can still sign up for IMLA Lite for a fee of $150 per year.
In short, if you are a community of less than 2500 and your state league/association is participating, your community pays nothing (you will receive IMLA Lite as a benefit through your membership in your local league/association). If your state league is not participating, you can still participate, only if you are a current member of your state league, for $150.
For additional information, contact your state league/association to see if they are participating in IMLA Lite. If not, contact us or call 202-466-5424 x7106 for your separate membership in IMLA Lite.