12 May Monday Morning Review: Local Governments in the Federal Appellate Courts
Posted in Monday Morning Review
- Jones v. City of Boston, No. 12-2280 (May 7, 2014) (in suit challenging police department’s drug-testing program as causing disparate impact based on race, reversing denial of summary judgment for plaintiffs on whether they had proved a prima facie case of disparate impact under Title VII).
- City of Pontiac Retired Employees Assoc. v. Schimmel, No. 12-2087 (May 5, 2014) (vacating order denying preliminary injunction and remanding on questions related to whether emergency manager could reduce and eliminate health-care benefits for retired City employees).
- Sutterfield v. Milwaukee, No. 12-2272 (May 9, 2014) (finding that warrantless entry of home was justified under exigent circumstances and finding officers were entitled to qualified immunity for other unreasonable searches and seizures).
- Green v. City and County of San Francisco, No. 11-17892 (May 12, 2014) (in 1983 action alleging wrongful detention, false arrest, and excessive force arising out of vehicle stop after department’s license plate reader misidentified car as stolen, reversing grant of summary judgment for defendants).
- Kentner v. City of Sanibel, No. 13-13893 (May 8, 2014) (affirming dismissal of suit claiming that municipal ordinance that prohibits plaintiffs from building a boat dock violates substantive due process).